Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Interview with the Student

So I interviewed a student from high school, "J." We spend some time together and I taped his answers. I transcribed the interview.



How would you answer the question "why learn math?"



To make you think. There are some jobs that do not really need math, but math just really makes you think. It makes you see a problem in many different ways. They train you to not be closed minded.



How do you best learn math?



Practice. Not just reading. You have to do it.



Do you enjoy learning math? Do you find it interesting? Do you think it is being taught well?



I can't say I always enjoy learning math, I think it is taught pretty well. Math is a hard subject. I don't enjoy it always. It has nothing to do with the way it is being taught that I don't like it; it is a pretty hard subject. Sometimes I don't like it. Sometimes I find it interesting. Sometimes I find it pretty boring.



Which assessment methods are you best at?



I would say on presentations. I just don't have stage freight. I don't really have a problem talking to people.



How would you define mathematics?



Numbers. Lots of numbers. I don't know. . . adding, subtracting, multiplying.

No comments:

Post a Comment